Review of “Winning Your Blood Sugar Battle” by Richard Furman, MD, FACS

I was really looking forward to receiving this book not because I have diabetes.  I was looking forward to it because I know from past experience that a diabetic diet can help you lose weight and be healthy or at least healthier. However, though I do think it is a good read and has good information in it.  I do feel like some of the information provided is common sense or can be found in many other places.  I was also really hoping that it would possibly have some recipes in it for good healthy options to make for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  However, it did not have any recipes.  It did have a sample daily menu and a list of good foods to eat.  As well as wanting some good healthy recipes, I was looking for some possible workout exercises and/or routines to be included (maybe even with diagrams).  But I did not really see what I wanted in regards to exercise either.  Within the chapter on “Importance of Ideal Weight”, the author says that the ideal weight for a woman should be calculated by taking 95 pounds as a base and adding 4 pounds for every inch over 5 feet that you are.  Well I am 5 foot 3 inches and I just feel like if I only weighed 107 pounds that I would look way too thin.  I feel like your body fat percentage should be taken into account when calculating your ideal weight.  Overall I did think that the information on how diabetes relates to your heart and brain were interesting but the rest of the book just did not seem like something I would specifically go out and get this book for.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in order to give an honest review of it.