Review of “The Hope of Azure Springs” by Rachel Fordham

This is the second book I have read by Rachel Fordham. I have also read “Yours Truly, Thomas” which you are actually supposed to read after this one but it seems that it wasn’t a huge deal that I read them in backwards order. As with “Yours Truly, Thomas”, I was drawn into this book from the very beginning. Rachel does a great job of bringing out the personality of her characters. In this book, the main characters are Em and Caleb (who also show up in the next book as secondary characters). Em originally shows up in town in bad shape. She had been shot and left for dead before arriving in Azure Springs. Also she is too thin and unfortunately is in need of a bath which is why the daughter of the people who nicely take her in does not say very nice things about her. The whole situation reminds me that you should not always judge somebody by their outward appearance especially when you do not know their story. Thankfully Caleb who is the sheriff of Azure Springs realizes that despite her appearance, Em seems to be a nice girl who needs help. Maybe he sees this because it is his job to find out who shot Em or maybe it is because he is a nice guy but I am just glad he looks past her appearance and treats her well. The character of Em shows what it means to be resilient in the face of life’s challenges.  And Caleb shows what it truly means to love and care for someone. If you get this book, then you won’t regret it.